Social Security Benefits After A Stroke: How To Qualify & File

24 November 2014
 Categories: , Blog


Did a stroke leave you in a position where you are unable to take care of yourself financially? If so, you may be able to get social security benefits to assist with your daily needs and bills. In this article, you will find out how to qualify for social security benefits after a stroke and how to file.

How Can A Stroke Victim Qualify For Social Security Benefits?

It is possible to qualify for social security benefits after a stroke if you can prove that it has left you in a health condition that affects your ability to get a job. You will need to visit your doctor to get a detailed record of your condition, as well as the expected amount of recovery time. If the effects of the stroke are permanent, you can receive the benefits for as long as you need them.

You must have a low amount of income or none to qualify for social security benefits. Even if you still have a job but had to switch to a lower paying position that is easier to cope with, you may still qualify. It is important to make sure you can provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) evidence such as land ownership documents, bank account statements and other assets of value to determine if you qualify or not.

How Can Filing For Social Security Benefits Be Done?

Although it is not necessary for file for benefits without the help of a social security lawyer, you may want to hire one before filing. A lawyer will know how to obtain a sufficient amount of evidence to make the process smoother for you. He or she can also get a copy of your medical report for you if you agree to sign a medical release form granting permission for it to be done.

It is possible that the SSA will ask you to get additional tests done to prove your condition before approving social security benefits. Having a lawyer by your side is a great way to avoid the additional testing, as he or she can convince the SSA that the detailed records of your stroke are sufficient enough.

Don't allow the effects of your stroke to cause you to become depressed about how you will financially support yourself. Hire a lawyer, like those at Law Offices Of Russell J. Goldsmith, to see if you will qualify for social security benefits and to file the appropriate forms with the SSA for you!